22 January 2012

Spiritual Sunday: Attitude of Gratitude

I am not a very grateful, or thankful, person. In fact, sometimes I make fun of other people for being grateful. I'm a hater; you know that [and sometimes, it's just cheesy, or borderline pathetic. Admit it. I'm right]. But I'm trying to be better. I found some of these quotes which help me understand the importance of being grateful.

"Gratitude is a mark of a noble soul and a refined character. We like to be around those who are grateful. They tend to brighten all around them. They make others feel better about themselves.They tend to be more humble, more joyful, more likable." Joseph B Worthlin

"Mercies and blessings come in different forms--sometimes as hard things. Yet the Lord said, 'Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things' (D&C 59:7). All things means just that: good things, difficult things--not just some things. He has commanded us to be grateful because He knows being grateful will make us happy. This is another evidence of His love." Bonnie D Parkin

"We need to be more grateful. It's one of the marks of strong character, to have a feeling of thanksgiving and gratitude for blessings that are ours. We need more of that spirit in our homes, in our daily associations, in church, everywhere. It's so easy to cultivate the spirit of appreciation." Ezra Taft Benson

In that spirit, here's my cheesy list of things I'm grateful for:
  • My family, near and far. I'm grateful to have Cass as I husband. I'm grateful to have been raised by my parents, who are always showing their love for me. I'm grateful for my brothers and sisters, my  grandparents, my uncle and cousins. I'm grateful for Cass's family, who has welcomed me whole-heartedly.
  • My jobs, both of them. They can be a struggle at times, but I am so grateful to be employed, and to be working while doing what I love. Teenagers can be a pain, but every so often it's worth it to work with them. And ya'll know how I'm addicted to dance.
  • Books, my other addiction.
  • Cassidy's job. Cass's job has been such a blessing, providing us with income and free board while still allowing him to take 18 credit hours. Life would be so much harder without.
  • The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I know, sometimes I'm a hater. But I'm trying. And the church really has been a blessing in my life. And I'm so grateful that Cass and I will get to be together for all eternity. 
How about you? What are you grateful for? 

2 comments:

Tenika Dennis said...

Currently I am grateful for: Skype, a heater, and that my baby and I are both finally healthy. YAY!

Beth said...

My daughter is growing up. Yup, we have lots to be grateful for.