12 January 2012

The Zookeeper's Wife



One of my dearest friends recommended this book for me after she loved it. It's a war story, surrounding WWII, dealing with the German invasion of Poland and the ghettoization, concentration, and killing of the Jews.  Zookeepers Jan and Antonina Zabinski struggle to raise their family and save their zoo, all while hosting an array of Jewish "visitors" on the zoo grounds. It's an interesting story, and clearly heroic, but I honestly found the writing a little dry. There was a lot of (to me) unnecessary background information. It felt more like a senior thesis than a book. However, it is non-fiction, which is usually on the drier side. I just was expecting it to be a little more exciting. Sometimes I think maybe I have this problem where I want all books to be fiction? But I do enjoy autobiographies. So I'm just not sure. Maybe I'm the problem? Either way, this was a good book, just not exactly a thriller. I give it a half-hearted recommendation. Read on!


2 comments:

Tenika Dennis said...

I think it's because if you are writing fiction, it has to be constantly entertaining and engaging or you won't have readers. But with non-fiction, you are telling your story and people are reading it to learn your story...so you can get away with being a little boring and dry at times. Just my thoughts...

Jayme said...

Yeah, I think you're totally right on that.